Tuesday, October 8, 2013

To Be or Not To Be...Vegetarian

  People often assume that I am a vegetarian.  It is a natural assumption as many yoga teachers choose to  be non meat eaters.  Fifteen years ago when I first started my yoga practice, I did become vegetarian.  I chose lentils, beans, tofu and other protein substitutes over meat.  My reason for this choice was simple; I wanted to practice ahimsa (non-violence), the very first yama of Patanjali's Yoga Sutras.  I read books like A Diet for a New America which describes the despicable practices of corporate animal farming and the karma that sits on your dinner plate.   I became appalled by the violence which animals were subject to in order to feed me. I won't go into a big discussion about this as I am sure you are familiar with these practices.  If you want to know more, the information is at your finger tips through our friend google. 

  My choice to become a vegetarian was a surprise to my family.  I come from a small town in Northern Ontario and my father is an avid hunter.  Every fall he goes hunting for deer and moose.  He truly believes that these animals were put here on Earth for our consumption.  My mother was baffled wondering what she was to cook for me since I was no longer eating her yummy lasagna,  spaghetti sauces, Christmas turkey and our traditional meat sea pie.  A short aside here to explain that sea pie is a traditional French Canadian meal.  It is a mixture of meats cooked in gravy in a thick crust. It is rather delicious with a slather of ketchup and not your typical vegetarian fare. 

  My first teacher training was in Kundalini yoga and at the end of our training we signed a piece of paper stating that we would practice vegetarianism. So when I decided to end my vegetarian vow it came with lots of guilt.

  My reasons for eating meat again?  I became pregnant with my son and felt that I needed more oomph to my diet.  Whether you eat meat or not is a very personal choice.  As I peel the layers of understanding. I realize that I can practice ahimsa and still eat meat.  It all depends on what kind of meat I eat.  If my protein comes from animals that have been well treated, I consider that 'conscious meat'.   I especially like eating the moose and deer that my father brings back after hunting with his friends.  Not only have the animals had a great life in the forest but it represents my fathers love of the great outdoors.   When he gives me his hunted meat, he hands it over with love. When my father's deer or moose meat is not available I chose organic meats and feel good about it.

  As I deepen my practice I recognize that Ahimsa comes in different forms.  If one eats a vegetarian diet and judges people who eat meat that is a form of violence.  I recognize that we are all individuals and have personal choices in regards to our lifestyle and that honouring each other in our choices with respect and acceptance is the best form of Ahimsa- non-violence.  Do what's best for you in your body.

Hari Om.


Here are pics of my dad. I love this man. Mom I love you too!


No comments: